Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reminiscing: Pictionary

Remember Pictionary? I certainly do. Though I didn't know it would ever help inform my immediate family of Chris and my impending little bundle, I did enjoy playing it as a child. There was even a show built on Pictionary's premise: Win, Lose or Draw. Each game started with two teams - ladies vs. gents. The teams would take turns at the drawing board where one player drew and the remaining two players on that same team made best guesses about that which was being Picasso'd with thick and colorful markers on the large flip chart.

So, that's the way my family shaped up our game. Estrogen vs. testosterone (Dad, Paul and Chris vs. Mom, Kari, Sarah and me). The plan was that at some point, Chris woud make the big reveal... whenever the time was right. Well, one and a half games later... we were still waiting for that perfect moment. See, with Pictionary, they have these "all-plays" that allow both teams to draw at the same time. Turns out, each time Chris drew, it ended up being an all-play, so instead of having the undivided attention of everyone at the table, he was only going to have the men's. Hence... we were into our second game (of course, us ladies were POUNDING the competition). Chris's turn came up and it was not an all-play. SCORE!

His hands started to get jittery. He reached carefully to turn on the camera. He read the word on the card several times (he still maintains he has no idea what it said) and acted perplexed at the prospect of having to sketch it.

The sand-filled "minute glass" was flipped and he was off. Though, it was a bit unclear what he was trying to do in the beginning, it became transparent in time. Here's what he drew...


Get it?
Don't feel bad... Neither did the fam; that is, not without a bit of explanation. Chris started to explain: The first picture is a man throwing a "rock"; number two is eyes that are looking, i.e. "see" (they got that one) and the third one is unmistakably an expectant woman (and that one). They just didn't understand how the three drawings worked together. He said it again "rock-see-baby bump"; then "pregnant" + "rock-see." By this time, I was beaming and tears were coming down my face because I was sure they were going to understand in a matter of moments. Then Sarah said "Roxi's pregnant?!"
From there, the game ended in a halt. Mom shrieked and grabbed me for a tight embrace; excited faces lit up all around the table; bodies rose to begin embracing; mom let me go and touched the lack of a bump on my abdomen. :)
Thanks for sharing in the memory!

3 comments:

  1. thats a cute story. Wish I had a cute story like that one. The closest one I have was when I was in high school and I told my mom I was pregnant and she said at least it isnt anything serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete